BI Chemicals, Inc. Bay 2 Reactor Addition
When BI Chemicals in Petersburg, VA made the decision to expand one of its existing process lines, it turned to APS for technical assistance. The project involved the installation of process and utility equipment to further production of active pharmaceutical ingredients (API) line.
Installed equipment included:
- 2000 gallon Glass Lined Carbon Steel Reactor with agitator,
- 1000 gallon Glass lined Carbon Steel Receiver,
- Tantalum Heat Exchanger,
- Hastelloy-C Centrifuge,
- 1500 gallon Glass lined Carbon Steel Mother Liquor Receiver,
- 200 gallon Stainless Steel Pressure Rated Wash Tank with agitator,
- Ethylene Glycol Temperature Control Unit,
- Vacuum Pump with Condensate Tank,
- Chiller Unit,
- Sampling system with pH Probe.
All associated process piping and controls were designed and installed to support this equipment. Piping materials consisted of carbon steel, stainless steel, Hastelloy C, and lined pipe. All support steel and concrete flooring were included in the project. The control system consisted of a Delta V controller with remote Stahl I/O and two local Human Machine Interfaces (HMI). The control system used conventional I/O, Foundation Feildbus (FF), Profibus DP, and DeviceNet.
The installation met the requirements of Class 1 Division 1 Group C & D.